If you have any question about the process, you can call us on our toll free number
900 507 097
An increased vaginal discharge, continuous itching or redness of the vulva may indicate the presence of this mild vaginal infection.
Did you know that in your vagina, there are many types of germs and microorganisms? They all live in perfect balance by forming the vaginal flora and are responsible for avoiding the external aggressions that may cause you infections. Sometimes, however, this balance disappears and the excessive presence of some fungi causes some discomfort. Fortunately, this is a mild vaginal infection that disappears with medical treatment.
External genital itching, redness of the vulvar area or increased vaginal discharge, with a thicker texture and off-white color, are some of the most common symptoms when the presence of fungi cause an infection. In some cases, you can also experience a burning sensation when urinating. They are all usually caused by candida albicans, a common type of fungus.
The importance of seeing a doctor
It is important to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis, since vaginal yeast symptoms can be confused with other infections of the genital area and it is important to make a definitive diagnosis to rule out other diseases with similar symptoms.
Once the diagnosis has been made, it is usually followed by treatment with vaginal suppositories and anti fungal cream. In more severe cases, or when the infection is recurrent, it will also require an oral therapy.
Habits to prevent their occurrence
There are a number of habits that can help us prevent this annoying infection:
- Keep the vaginal area clean and dry. Washing the area once a day is enough: excessive personal hygiene can lead to the disappearance of other beneficial microorganisms and encourage the growth of the ones causing the infection.
- Should you go to the beach or pool it is a good idea not to stay in a wet bikini for too long in order to try to keep the area as dry as possible.
- Use clothing made of natural fabrics. Cotton underwear helps absorb moisture, keeping you dry.
- Avoid very hot and long baths
- Avoid large-scale and continuous use of antibiotics
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Sugars are the main source of food of fungi and boost its growth. For this reason, it is important to avoid as much as possible the consumption of white sugar, bakery products and alcoholic beverages, which decrease the body’s defenses as well as cheeses, which are high in yeast. On the other hand, it is advisable to eat fresh vegetables and sprout foods, garlic and pro-biotic foods like some yogurts.